Critical Art Writing with Saelan Twerdy
Instructor: Saelan Twerdy
Monday, Dec 12, 2022
6 – 8 PM
Zoom / FREE ADMISSION
This workshop offers emerging critics and art writers practical skills and strategies, mentorship, guided discussion, and the opportunity to build community and solidarity among like-minded cultural workers. Participants will gain insight into the professional realities of art writing as well as current debates and discourses in criticism.
Topics covered will include:
· The art publishing landscape in Canada and abroad
· Who is criticism for, and what purposes does it serve?
· What makes for good (and bad) art writing?
· Imagining and strategizing your career as an art writer
· How and where to pitch your writing
· The people you meet: navigating art world etiquette among artists, curators, editors, other writers, dealers, collectors, and more.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Saelan Twerdy (he/him) is a writer, editor, and cultural worker based in Tiohtià:ke/Montréal. He is currently the Managing Editor of RACAR, the official academic journal of the Universities Art Association of Canada.His art writing has appeared in venues such as CBC Arts, Beside, Momus, Canadian Art, Esse, C magazine, Border Crossings, Blackflash, and elsewhere. He has also contributed to books and exhibition catalogues published by Fonderie Darling, Concordia University’s FOFA Gallery, Fogo Island Arts/Sternberg Press, and MOCA Toronto, among others.